Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Fantastic Planet



The Fantastic Planet(La Planète sauvage,René Laloux,1973) has always been a source of inspiration for me, a reminder to look for the different in everything. Thats what this blog is about, finding that different thing in this ocean of sound before us to consume. I first connected with the film in Osaka around 1995 at a friends house. I was blown away by everything about it, the music, the story, the animation style. The soundtrack and sound effects inspired me the most. I suggest anyone who hasn't seen the film to check it at once, and if you can get your hands on one of the funkiest progressive soundtracks ever made. Alain Goraguer composed the music, a noted arranger of Serge Gainsbourg, among others. The music and the effects during the movie draw on sources of all instruments and styles. It is dynamic and combines several moods. Through my travels I have always tried to draw music together, musics from different geopgraphies, genres, ages. My weekly residence has always been Sagittarius Rising, to represent the spontinaity and restlessness of music styles, the need to see new horizons. In the digital download age, music becomes timeless, old skool and nu skool meet and create no school, no genre, no boundries.

No comments:

Post a Comment